Whether it’s a small office or a large one, moving is a tough job. Starting off with a checklist is a great way to stay on-track and make sure you don’t miss anything crucial.
If you’re stuck on what steps to take first, use the checklist below to get you started!
- Using the floorplan of your new office, work out where your desks will be positioned and who is sitting where.
- If you have a lot of staff, Real Commercial suggest assigning each with a desk number and letter by department. For example, Marketing could be 1A, 1B, 1C, etc. and Sales could be 2A, 2B, 2C, etc. If you’re small, then stick with your employees names.
- Name all the communal spaces: e.g.: meeting room, waiting room, conference room, kitchen, staff room, etc.
- Organise utilities for moving day. Do you split any of the bills with other companies in the same space or do you need to get in touch with your providers?
- What about Internet and phones? How are your services connected now? If you use landlines, you may not be able to take your numbers with you. (If you’re interested in switching to a Virtual PBX service, take a look at our blog here or contact us for a quote.)
- Organise removalists. Confirm you have all the details to access the building and let them know where they can park. Send them copies of your floor plan so they know the layout before they arrive.
- Give staff a copy of the floorplan and their allocated desk number (if that’s how you did it).
- Tell the staff to number all boxes, computer screens, hard drives, furniture and phones with their corresponding identifier. Provide a cut-off date to avoid procrastinators.
- Take home laptops, iPads and any other personal items.
- Items for shared areas should be labelled with the corresponding rooms they belong in.
- Depending on the size of the move you may need to have company representatives at both locations. Mobile softphones will be your office lifesaver during this time. Leave a pre-recorded announcement on your IVR advising you’re moving today, but if it’s urgent they can still follow the prompts to speak to a representative. The call will ring on your mobile app.
- Don’t forget to breathe! Even with the best laid plans there may be snags. Just take it one step at a time.
- Have snacks ready for everyone who helped! Pizza is usually a good choice.
- Make sure everything is where it’s supposed to be as per your original plan.
- Have you updated your address on your website, social media and other displayed locations?
- Set up a lost and found carton.
- Hang up your office decorations.
Back to work
- Have a welcome breakfast or lunch on opening day. It’s a great way to settle in.
- Congratulations! You made it. Enjoy your new space.
Do you have any moving tips or tricks you can share? We’d definitely love to hear them! Are you moving offices? If you want advice on a MOVOX solution, feel free to contact us here.