It is necessary for MOVOX to collect information about you in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act) for the purposes of billing you, assessing and controlling credit risk including collecting unpaid accounts, operating the Services and to comply with our obligations under:
(a) the Telecommunications Act 1997;
(b) the Telecommunications (Interception and Access) Amendment (Data Retention) Act 2015;
(c) the Integrated Public Number Database (IPND); and
(d) the Document Verification Service (DVS)
The IPND is an industry-wide database of phone numbers used to publish public number directories, provide directory assistance, operate emergency call services and safeguard national security.
The DVS is a national online system that allows organisations to compare a customer’s identifying information with a government record.
We obtain your personal information
Directly from you when you:
- complete a form on our website
- email us
- setup your account with us
- pay your bill
- subscribe to our services
- purchase a product from our website; or
- meet with us in person
We collect information when you:
- contact our call centers; or
- use our networks, products and services
From outside sources such as:
- our partners, contractors, suppliers, agents and employees;
- credit reporting agencies
- identity and fraud checking services
- commercially available personal, identity, geographic and demographic information
- social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook
- marketing lists, databases and data aggregation services
- websites or websites hosted or operated by our contractors, suppliers or agents; and
- public information, (including public posts to social networking sites)
Information held by us may include:
- Personal information supplied to the DVS such as; your name, sex, date of birth, driver’s licence number, Medicare card number, Passport number, address (and previous two addresses), telephone or mobile telephone number, email address, occupation and name of employer.
- We also hold details of your MOVOX services including usernames and passwords;
- Information supplied to the IPND such as your name, phone number, address and service location. If you have a silent line, your number will not be published in public number directories or be disclosed by directory assistants, even though it must be provided to the IPND to satisfy our legal obligations;
- Internet Protocol (IP) addresses as part of providing Internet services, Internet session management and for security purposes; and
- Anonymous information obtained when you visit our websites such as the time, date and the web pages you visited. We may use website ‘cookies’ to remember your preferences.
- We use a range of security controls and internal processes to help us protect your information from unauthorised access and disclosure;
- Your information may be held in electronic or hard copy format and kept it in a secure storage facility operated by our service providers;
- Information electronically stored is encrypted and stored in stored in secure server infrastructure hosted in our data centers which meet global security standards.
Your personal information may be used to:
- verify your identity;
- assist you to subscribe to our services;
- provide the services you require;
- administer and manage those services, including charging, billing and collecting debts;
- inform you of ways the services provided to you could be improved;
- conduct appropriate checks for credit-worthiness and for fraud;
- research and develop our services;
- gain an understanding of your information and communication needs in order for us to provide you with better service;
- maintain and develop our business systems and infrastructure, including testing and upgrading of these systems; and
- keep you informed of our products and services (by way of direct mail, telemarketing, SMS and email). If you do not wish to receive promotional material you can update your contact preferences by logging into My account on the MOVOX website
Access to information that MOVOX collects is available to you (subject to the limitations referred to in the Privacy Act but is otherwise restricted to MOVOX staff that need access to it for the purposes of carrying out their duties.
In relation to MOVOX providing our services to you, personal information may also be passed to organisations outside of MOVOX such as:
- Carriers or resellers of services or other suppliers to MOVOX in connection with provision of Services;
- Credit reporting agencies used by MOVOX in assessing credit risk or notifying default;
- Law enforcement and national security agencies, and other government and regulatory authorities as required or authorised by law
- The Government’s National Document Verification Service to verify the validity of any Government issued documentation you provide as proof of identity;
- Solicitors or debt collection agencies retained by MOVOX to collect unpaid accounts;
- authorised representatives or your legal advisers (e.g. when requested by you);
- our professional advisers, including our accountants, auditors and lawyers;
- organisations who monitor our business efficiency and our advertising and marketing agencies;
- organisations who manage our business strategies and statistical information and those involved in managing our corporate risk and funding functions; and
- our related companies;
In some instances, we may share your information with organisations that may be based outside the location where the information is collected. This includes Australia, Canada, China, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, the United Kingdom and the United States of America.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that these organisations are bound by confidentiality and privacy obligations in relation to the protection of your personal information.
We take all reasonable precautions to ensure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, the accuracy of that information depends to a large extent on the information you provide.
That’s why we recommend that you:
- let us know if there are any errors in your personal information; and
- keep us up-to-date with changes to your personal information such as your name and address.
To change your personal details please log into your ‘my account’ section of the MOVOX website using your username and password.
You have a right to access your personal information, subject to some exceptions allowed by law. We reserve the right to charge a fee for searching for and providing access to your information.
To access your personal information held by us you will need to submit this request in writing by completing the form located form on our Contact us page.
MOVOX may give information about you to a credit reporting agency, for the following purposes:
- To obtain a consumer credit report about you, and/or;
- To allow the credit reporting agency to create or maintain a credit information file containing information about you.
This information may be given before, during or after the provision of credit to you and is limited to:
- Identity particulars including; your name, sex, date of birth, driver’s licence number, Medicare card number, passport number, address (and previous two addresses), telephone or mobile telephone number, email address, occupation and name of employer;
- Your application for credit or commercial credit – the fact that you have applied for credit and the amount;
- The fact that MOVOX is a current credit provider to you;
- Amounts which are overdue by more than 60 days, and for which debt collection action has commenced;
- Advice that amounts have been paid or otherwise discharged and are no longer due in respect of any default that has been listed;
- Information that, in the opinion of MOVOX you have committed a serious credit infringement (that is, fraudulently or shown an intention not to comply with your credit obligations); and
- Dishonoured cheques drawn by you for $100 or more which have been dishonoured more than once.
Calling Number Display (CND) lets persons who receive phone calls identify who is calling them by displaying the caller’s number. CND forms part of the Service that you purchase from us.
Unless you have chosen to block your phone number, CND will usually cause your phone number to be displayed on the phone of the person you are calling. When you receive a call, the phone number of that person may be displayed on your phone if that person has not barred CND.
When you use a mobile telephone or tablet to send an SMS or MMS you cannot bar the mobile telephone number assigned to your Service and therefore may be displayed on the phone of the person you are sending the SMS or MMS.
When you visit our website, our web servers record anonymous information such as the time, date and URL of the request. This information assists us to improve the structure of our websites and monitor their performance.
We may use ‘cookies’ on various websites. Cookies are an industry standard and most major websites use them. A cookie is a small text file that our websites may place on your computer. Usually, cookies are used as a means for our websites to remember your preferences. As such, cookies are designed to improve your experience of our websites.
In some cases, cookies may collect and store personal information about you. We extend the same privacy protection to your personal information, whether gathered via cookies or from other sources.
You can adjust your Internet browser to disable cookies are being used. However, if you disable cookies, you may not be able to access certain areas of our websites or take advantage of the improved website experience that cookies offer.
We also collect Internet Protocol (IP) addresses. IP addresses are assigned to computers on the Internet to uniquely identify them within the global network. We collect and manage IP addresses as part of the service of providing Internet session management and for security purposes.
MOVOX will not enter into an agreement with you unless you agree to the provision and use of your personal information in this way.
To notify us of a privacy complaint you have against us please complete the form located on our Contact us page.
We will aim to investigate and resolve your complaint within 7 days of receiving it. However, in some instances we may need to refer to a third party and require additional time. If we need more time, we will notify you about the delay and indicate a new resolution time frame.
You may also be able to lodge a privacy complaint with the Australian Information Commissioner